A few weeks ago, I was assigned a SharePoint 2016 implementation. Yea me! Wanting to get a jump on the project, I quickly spun up a few Azure virtual machines, downloaded SP2016, and created a small SharePoint farm. While I was doing all the project prep work, analysis, requirement gathering, etc. I didn’t have much time to play with it.
Fast forward to today. I went out and created a new site collection. A relatively easy task, but I noticed the Newsfeed feature was displaying an error:
Something went wrong
SharePoint returned the following error: The operation failed because an internal error occurred. Internal type name: Microsoft.Office.Server.Microfeed.MicrofeedException. Internal error code: 54. Contact your system administrator for help in resolving this problem.
I quickly began researching the issue on-line and found a few articles pointing to the service accounts not having the correct permission, some suggested to try resetting the Distributed Cache service, and a couple advising to check the User Profile Services. Nothing worked, so I decided to check the logs. I know I should have done that first, but I quickly found the issue.
Unexpected SPMicrofeedContext.SetMySiteHostForContext failed Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The trial period for this product has expired.
A quick trip out to MSDN and I was able to get a SP2016 license key from my subscription benefits. I then went Central Admin –> Upgrade and Migration–> Convert farm license type and I was able to add the license.
I then did an IIS Reset, refreshed my site and my Newsfeed was restored!
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps you out.