FastTrack is a collection of resources, tools, and a team of hundreds of engineers around the globe, committed to ensuring successful Office 365, Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS), and/or Azure experiences for IT professionals and partners. Microsoft created the FastTrack program to ensure that it’s customers could get up and running with their new services as quickly as possible.
This sounds great, Microsoft sells helps you get up and running as soon as possible, and moves your data for you! This may be a great fit for you and your organization, but there are some scenarios where this might not be the best fit for you and your data:
- You have special requirements as to where you data can go! Many organizations can’t have data leave the country it resides in. Currently, data migrated through the FastTrack services may be transferred to, stored, and processed anywhere that Microsoft maintains facilities (except as otherwise provided for your particular FastTrack engagement). The FastTrack services aren’t designed or intended for data subject to special legal or regulatory requirements. Data migrated through the FastTrack services may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States or anywhere that Microsoft or its third-party suppliers maintain facilities.
- No full fidelity migration capabilities – While FastTrack does a good job of migrating your base data information, it doesn’t move all of the metadata and other setting associated with those files.What won’t migrate:
- Files larger than 2 GB
- Ownership history
- Previous versions
- Windows file and folder attributes (for example, Read Only, Hidden)
- Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) special permissions and advanced settings
- Corrupted and inaccessible documents
- Conversion of embedded URLs/links in source documents
- Files of certain types or files that exceed Office 365 service limits
- Windows NTFS Auditing Configuration
- Windows Advanced NTFS permissions
- Additional file metadata provided by File Classification Infrastructure (FCI)
The only way to move documents with full fidelity is to use a third party tool.
- No content reorganization. Doing a FastTrack migration, is a “Lift Shift” The data is “lifted” from the source environment and “shifted” to Office 365, SharePoint On-Line or One Drive For Business. The problem is that there is no way to reorganize the data. Often during such an upgrade or transition to a new environment, organizations what to reorganize their data and look to put governance rules and policies in place to better manage it. These are not things that FastTrack helps with, it is only concerned with getting your data moved so that you can begin using the new environment the same way as the old.
- No mechanism to check new sensitive data created or imported. FastTrack does not have the ability to search the source destination for sensitive information prior to the migration.
- FastTrack only migrates data. Many companies have spent valuable time and resources creating business processes, custom workflows, branding, etc. in their old environments; these are not items that will be migrated.