Everywhere your data exists, moves or is shared, you need to protect it. With a Data Loss Prevention (DLP) policy in SharePoint Server 2016, you can identify, monitor, and automatically protect sensitive information across your site collections. Learn the basics of DLP and how you can start better protecting your data.
What is Data Loss Prevention?
- Data loss prevention (DLP) is a strategy for making sure that end users do not send sensitive or critical information outside the corporate network.
- DLP Software products help a network administrator control what data end users can transfer so that users cannot accidentally or maliciously share data that could put the organization at risk.
I recently created a presentation for a Lunch & Learn at my company, AvePoint, and decided to share the slides:
The information comes primarily from Microsoft’s documentation with a couple of slides based off of information from Vlad Catrinescu’s presentation at Ignite 2016.
I am working on adding information on the differences between SharePoint 2016 and Office 365 and will update with the new slides when I complete it.
Hope it you find it informative.
A few weeks ago, I was assigned a SharePoint 2016 implementation. Yea me! Wanting to get a jump on the project, I quickly spun up a few Azure virtual machines, downloaded SP2016, and created a small SharePoint farm. While I was doing all the project prep work, analysis, requirement gathering, etc. I didn’t have much time to play with it.
Fast forward to today. I went out and created a new site collection. A relatively easy task, but I noticed the Newsfeed feature was displaying an error:
Something went wrong
SharePoint returned the following error: The operation failed because an internal error occurred. Internal type name: Microsoft.Office.Server.Microfeed.MicrofeedException. Internal error code: 54. Contact your system administrator for help in resolving this problem.
I quickly began researching the issue on-line and found a few articles pointing to the service accounts not having the correct permission, some suggested to try resetting the Distributed Cache service, and a couple advising to check the User Profile Services. Nothing worked, so I decided to check the logs. I know I should have done that first, but I quickly found the issue.
Unexpected SPMicrofeedContext.SetMySiteHostForContext failed Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The trial period for this product has expired.
A quick trip out to MSDN and I was able to get a SP2016 license key from my subscription benefits. I then went Central Admin –> Upgrade and Migration–> Convert farm license type and I was able to add the license.
I then did an IIS Reset, refreshed my site and my Newsfeed was restored!
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps you out.